Skip to main content


Health & Social Security

How do I sign up for a general practitioner (GP)?

All persons registered in the National Registry as living in Norway have the right to a General Practitioner/family doctor. Note that persons who have D-numbers are not entitled to a GP.

You will automatically be allocated a GP after registration in the national registry. Helse Norge provides details of your entitlements as a patient.

How do I apply for health insurance?

Norway has a public health service.  All persons registered as resident in the country are entitled to essential medical support through the public health service. A deductible amount is paid for some consultations up to an amount set by the government. After this all treatment is free for the remaining year.

Private health facilities are also available. They offer a full range of medical services that are paid for via an agreement or for individual visits.

Where do I go if I am sick?

Depending on the degree of your illness there are three options:

  • For general health enquires you should contact your General Practitioner
  • For acute medical attention you should attend the emergency ward. All municipalities in Norway offer emergency medical assistance that is available 24 hours a day.
  • For life threatening situation you should call the emergency medical service who will send an ambulance.

Is dental treatment free of charge?

Dental treatment is provided free of charge to children up to 18 years (not including braces), the elderly, chronically ill patients, and patients with mental illness in and outside of institutions. They receive treatment via the Public Dental Health Service.

Dental care for all other adults is private and fees are charged for treatment.

Can I make an appointment directly with the specialist for treatment?

If you require specialist treatment you should first contact your GP. After a consultation, your GP will refer you to the relevant specialist for treatment.

If you have a preferred specialist, you can request that your GP refers you to him/her.

Home Finding

How can I sign a rental contract without ID number?

ID number (or D-number) is not required. It is possible to use your passport number instead.

Why must I pay deposit?

A deposit is an amount that the tenant pays as security for rent owed or damage to the owner. The amount is normally three months’ rent and should not exceed six months’ rent.

How should I pay the deposit?

The amount must be paid into a separate account, arranged by the landlord. Neither of the parties may withdraw the amount for the duration of the tenancy without consent from the other party. The fee for opening a deposit account must be paid by the landlord.

How can I know that the contract I sign is a "good contract"?

Using a standard contract is advisable. In most cases, landlords and owners use standard contracts. Please read the contract carefully and ask questions if when in doubt.

What rights do I have as a tenant?

Your most important rights as a tenant are stipulated in the rental contract and in the Norwegian Tenancy Act.

Why must I have a household insurance when renting?

The owner has insurance for his/her property and. To protect your valuables, such as furniture, sports equipment, clothes and electronic devises you should buy a household or home content insurance.

How can I terminate a rental contract?

The termination should be in writing and as a tenant one can terminate the tenancy without reason. The landlord can terminate the tenancy if he/she has justifiable grounds for doing so. The period of notice is three months, unless otherwise stated in the lease. Very often, one can first terminate the contract after nine months – with three months’ notice, which means min. 12 months bind


Do I need a work permit to work in Norway?

If you are from a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to work in Norway, you need a residence permit. If you do not already have a residence permit, you must apply for a residence permit for work. If you are an EU/EEA citizen who is going to work and live in Norway for more than three months, you must register with the UDI - The Directorate of Immigration. Nordic citizens do not need a work permit or UDI registration. The UDI provides detailed information on their web pages.

How long does it take to get my permit?

It depends on the type of permit you have applied for. Currently the waiting time for residence permit as a skilled worker is about 2 months.

Can your case be given priority?

Very special circumstances are required for a case to be moved to the front of the queue. In general, only life-threatening, acute illness or death within the close family are accepted as reason.

Can my elderly mother/father also move with me?

In general, only spouses/cohabitants and children can apply for family immigration. It is very difficult for other types of family members to be granted family immigration. You can only be granted family immigration if the UDI believes that strong humanitarian considerations apply in your case.


How can I get a tax card?

If you earn more than NOK 60000/year, you must have a tax deduction card.

It is only possible to apply for the tax card after coming to Norway. If you have (or waiting to receive) your ID number, you must apply for the tax card online.

If not, you must book an appointment at the tax office to order the tax card. Processing time: 1-2 weeks.

What is the difference between ID-number and D-number?

The ID-number is the permanent identity number for residents living in Norway. This number is also called personal number “fødselsnummer” (birth number) or social security number. The number consists of 11 digits and starts with your date of birth. For security reasons: learn the number by heart and do not share it in emails etc.

The D-number is a preliminary identity number for stays up to 6 months.